Hitec Aurora 9

Wish you had bought Spektrum gear? Glad it is Futaba you have?
Want to buy 2·4GHz, but not sure what is compatible with what? Ask the question here. If you have radio gear to sell, or are looking to buy second hand... Use the "For Sale or Wanted" forum please.

Re: Hitec Aurora 9

Postby Thommo » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:49 pm

Finally got to use the Aurora 9 in my Yak 55 last week; did a ground range check with engine running (JC28 petrol), 100 paces later still had full control so gave up at that, no problem there.
Also laid to rest the concerns some people had about the Optima 7 Rx only having one BODA aerial and that a large petrol engine could block the signal:

IMG_2493a.jpg

Had a couple of flights and no problem whatsoever, solid control at all times, as it should be. 8-)
I enabled the low voltage warning function for the Rx, though I wasn't sure what to set it to initially; the model uses a 2500 mah 2S A123 LiFe pack which has a nominal voltage of 6.6v. Came across this graph on http://www.hangtimes.com/index.html

VM.jpg

The top line shows discharge curve for A123 pack so I tried setting alarm at 6.1v, this proved too high as I found that any manoeuver involving large rudder deflections, such as flick rolls or sustained knife edge, had the Tx beeping momentarily. The Tx records the high & low peaks during flight, after 2 flights the lowest was 5.9v, so have now set alarm at 5.8v and will see how it goes.

IMG_2497a.jpg

After two 20 minute flights, plus range testing, setting engine up etc I re-charged battery which only needed 480mah, so approximately 200mah per flight which gives a theoretical potential of 12 20 minute flights per charge, but allowing for a 50% safety margin still leaves 6 flights with plenty in reserve.
One thing I found annoying with Aurora Tx is that the countdown timer beeps on the minute every minute which is distracting and confusing as it is the same as low battery warning, apart from that I'm getting to like this gear more & more. 8-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.”
Thommo

Previous

Return to Radio equipment